Most of the parts and pieces for the third iteration of the Kona Hei Hei are here. Would that be a Hei Hei Hei? Perhaps I could be mistaken for Fat Albert, dunno. The process is definitely going in fits and starts but I am trying to remain patient and put this together correct.
To prepare for parts cleaning, I attempted to pull the old cassette off the rear hub yesterday morning. Wasn't happening. The cassette and aluminum freehub body seem to be permanently entwined in a loving embrace. Ain't movin'. So, I'm ordering a replacement steel freehub body. Steel is real, right?
And of course a new cassette will be required.
I started cleaning drive train bits last night to prepare for installation in the new frame. And in the process realized I just needed to replace most of my drive train. New front rings, new rear derailleur, new front derailleur. Now on order, too.
So, I thought, hey, at least I can press the new Cane Creek headset into the new frame. I have a headset press, cool beans. Again, no go. I have to order the 1.5 headset press adapter.
I still have one more bit I can work on--installing the travel spacer in the Reba to knock it down to 120mm. I hope it goes well!
Now that I have the frame, shock, and fork in hand, of course I'm itching to build this thing and I'm finding all the little things that'll slow it down. Not that I should be upset about it. These are mostly items that I could have and should have taken care of in the month or so I was waiting for the new frame to show up. All the time in the world. All the time in the world to spare...and I spent it doing other things! My choice.
But I'm pretty stoked about how I want it to come together! And pretty stoked that Kona has replaced the frame a second time now with no hassle. And pretty stoked that I moved into the realm of tapered forks. And more rear travel. And more front travel.
I'll try to get off my duff this weekend and take a few pics. The new Fox RP23 shock with Kashima coat is pretty awesome. The Cane Creek 110 headset is a work of art. The redesigned Hei Hei frame has some nice touches--like a better aligned cable stop for the front derailleur and asymmetrical chainstays. The seat stays are beefier than the old frame as well.
As long as I can ride this thing at the Shenandoah 100, it'll be good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Looking forward to seeing you guy at Shenandoah!
Post a Comment